Thursday, January 20, 2011

first day of school

Yesterday morning, Scott and John arrived. My flat mates Leah, Kat and I woke up at 6:45 and hopped on the (hour long) bus to go greet them at the airport. The bus took much longer than expected (there’s a stop about every block...), but it was a good lesson, and luckily, they had only been waiting for about 5 minutes. After that, we came back to the apartment, my flat mates went back to bed, and the boys ate and relaxed.

At 1pm, while the boys napped, I had my first class: Scottish Culture & Society. We learned when and where our different fieldtrips will be (the Edinburgh castle, a distillery, and one more place I’m not sure of). He also went over the syllabus, and we will have different guest speakers every week discussing different aspects of Scotland, such as the geography, the healthcare system, the law, etc. so I think I will really enjoy it (and no exams!!).

After class, we all (my flat mates, myself, the boys downstairs, Scott & john) went on a big shopping trip to Asda and stocked up on food.

Last night, we brought the boys out to Finnegan’s Wake, a bar I had mentioned in my previous entry, that is open and lots of wood everywhere. I liked it, it was a quiet night so there weren’t too many people, but it was fun. After that, we headed out to a club called the Liquid Room. Similar to other clubs we have been to, there was tables, a big dance floor, a bar, and a stage, but not much else. It was fun, but the ambiance wasn’t as interesting as some of the other clubs we have been to.

Right now i'm sitting between classes, because my 1-3 class got out a bit early, and I have class in the same room in about 20 minutes. I just had my Consumer Behavior class, and I LOVED it. I decided to switch out of this horrible one for my major (Critical Debates in Communication Theory) and instead take one i'd enjoy and know I couldn't take at UNH, and this is it. My professor is soo nice and stayed after class to talk with me for a bit, saying if I need anything at all or have any problems he would be happy to help. He's this older man, very very short, and big round glasses, and so funny! The class has 75 people in it, yet participation is encouraged and he's making a strong effort to know everyone's names. I'm looking forward to the class a lot! It is interesting because the entire class is a mid-term essay and a final group project..and that's all! It is nice to learn because you enjoy the information, rather than worrying about memorizing and what types of questions will be on the exams. Another thing I noticed was that people talk in class A LOT, and won't necessarily quiet down when he says so. As soon as he stops talking, people start whispering. If he is having a discussion at one end of the classroom, the other end is chatting. I sit right at the front so it isn't too bad.

More pictures to come soon I promise! Sorry for the wordy entires :)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment